Do I need a lawyer if I am injured in an accident?

Stoltze & Stoltze PLC

Following an accident, you may be able to file a claim for compensation from the at fault party’s insurer without an attorney if you do a bit of research on how the insurance claim process works. However, sometimes you may require the skills of an experienced personal injury attorney particularly if you are seriously injured or the legal rules surrounding your claim are complex. Even those who start the claim process on their own may eventually seek the help of an attorney if the insurance company refuses to settle a claim in good faith.

A good rule of thumb when trying to decide whether to hire an attorney is if it’s a serious injury that may cause you significant or long lasting pain, disability, lost work or has resulted in disfigurement. Even if you are not certain what the future holds following an injury, it is in your best interest to discuss your case with an experienced attorney before settling with an insurer. For victims who have suffered a serious injury, the compensation can vary widely. Insurers look to the amount of your medical bills, lost income and the length of time you are disabled or are in pain and other factors to make a determination regarding compensation. As the figure climbs and your medical issues linger, it can be difficult to gauge the range of compensation the insurer might be willing to pay so it is worthwhile to enlist the help of an attorney to maximize your compensation.

The type of lawyer you will want to consider hiring following an injury depends on the unique circumstances of your case. If, for example, you are injured at work, you will want to find an attorney that focuses on workers’ compensation claims and personal injury. Work accidents may not only involve the employer’s workers’ comp insurer, but also a third party insurer when an employee is injured at another location or involved in an accident with another motorist while traveling for work. An attorney with experience in both workers’ compensation and personal injury claims can look to both parties to get the full compensation you deserve.

If your injury has nothing to do with an on-the-job injury, an experienced personal injury attorney can handle claims ranging from car accidents to premises liability, where an injured party might have slipped or fallen at a business or someone’s residence for instance.  A negligent driver or business owner may owe you compensation for your injuries and an experienced personal injury attorney can help get full compensation for your losses.  For those with injuries that involve a medical procedure gone wrong or a misdiagnosis, it is in your interest to seek the help of a personal injury attorney with experience in medical malpractice claims.  If you have been injured and do not know where to turn, contact the Des Moines workers’ compensation, personal injury attorneys of Stoltze & Stoltze PLC for a free consultation and evaluation of your case at515.989.8529.