What to Do When You are Injured in a Car Accident

When you are injured in an Iowa car accident, what you do afterward can make or break your case when seeking compensation for your medical bills, property damage, or even pain and suffering. Some actions you should take include:

Seek Medical Treatment Following a Car Accident

Regardless of whether you or a family member has been seriously injured in a car accident, you should see a medical professional as many symptoms develop, or injuries worsen, in the days or weeks following an accident. This is often the case when someone suffers an injury to the neck or spine in a car accident that may seem minor immediately after an accident, but does not resolve or even worsens. Having a medical professional document your injuries promptly can help you get the compensation you need to recover.

Gather Evidence After a Car Accident

It cannot be overstated how important it is to gather evidence at the scene, which should include taking the names and contact information of any witnesses, taking photographs of the accident scene and surrounding area, and preparing notes detailing what happened before and after the accident. When seeking compensation for an accident, any information you can provide can make all the difference when an insurer tries to push back.

Involve the Police

Some drivers involved in traffic accidents encounter an at fault driver who does not wish to involve the police, hoping to avoid the involvement of law enforcement. However, having a police report can be extremely helpful in revealing who is at fault, especially when dealing with an insurance company who may try to deny your claim.

Contact an Experienced Iowa Car Accident Lawyer

The fallout from an accident can be overwhelming and costly if you do not know what steps to take. It is very important to discuss your case with an experienced car accident lawyer from the start, who can guide you through the entire process. Contact the Des Moines Iowa car accident lawyers of Stoltze & Stoltze PLC for immediate assistance at515.989.8529.